Friday, September 5, 2008

First Day of Classes

I am officially underway with my first semester of the term at Wenzhou Medical College, or as they refer to it here, Wenzhou Yixueyuan. Today I had three consecutive classes of sophomores for my Oral English 201 class, which consisted of, in order of ability, Class 1, Renji 1, and Renji 2. The Class 1 students are, predictably, the "top tier" students who tested into this program, and are thus heavily subsidized by the government. The Renji classes are, for lack of a better term, the "others." Many of the Ranji students are great students, but mixed in are those who, quite frankly, would rather not be there. Hey, I figure at least in China they've done me the favor of seperating the classes out so I at least have an idea of what to expect from them.

Today was introductions and syllabus overview. Almost all of the students have either been given or given themselves "English" names, as I mentioned earlier. As I've already ascertained, however, these names are for the convenience - and sometimes unfortunate pranks of - former English teachers. No one goes by their English name, except to their English professor. As such, in addition to performing role call with their English name, I have also resolved to begin learning their *actual* names. This process of me asking, and then repeating made for much laughter as I slughtered name after name... But it wasn't totally my fault! In order to be able to tolerate a 4th floor room during midday Chinese heat, I had to have all the fans on full blast. The resulting hurricane-force windstorm made the day bearable, but my ability to correctly hear their names very poor. The students were very kind, though, and even applauded on the (rare) occasion that I got a name on the first try.

I did have a few rabbits that I pulled out of my hat. As I thought, I took them completely by surprise when I revealed that I was able to speak any Chinese at all. I even made them a deal that if they would speak when called on without making a fuss, I would occasionally let them laugh at how bad my Chinese was by dutifully mangling their language. I think it is a good confidence-building thing for them. I don't mind being laughed at (because I know just how ridiculously limited my language skills are), and it lets them know that they shouldn't be embarrassed to mess up. I really tried to drive that message home, and think I made progress.

I had the students write down, and then randomly called about 1/3 of each class to read out loud to me, answers to some basic personal questions I asked them. Without fail, they performed admirably, especially when considering that the Chinese are notorious for being very shy about speaking publically in English. If they mess up, it can mean huge social embarrassment. But a rule I established early on was that I not only expected people to mess up, but I even encourage it. The way I see it, that's how we learn. There would be no laughing at mistakes, since everone (even the teacher) would make them... except I allow them to laugh at my silly mistakes :D

Another shocker for everyone in the class (comprised overwhelming of girls... of 3 classes of 30, I believe I had a grand total of 8-9 boys.), was that their foreign teacher was a mere 22. The whole class would gasp when someone asked that question of me and I answered. It would quickly be followed up with "Do you have a girlfriend?" I don't think it is too far-out for me to say I have become something of a heartthrob to many of these students. I was told I was cute, I was asked for my phone number, and one girl even told me that she wanted to study english becase she, and I quote, "liked foreign English teachers." this same girl has subsequently emailed me with a very friendly letter, emphasizing that since our ages are so close, I can feel free to be friends with my students, and not feel so shackled by the teacher-student relationship. I'm paraphrasing, but that was the gyst.

Certainly this is an interesting situation I've found myself in. Admittedly, it's most than a little gratifying to be in such a position. But beyond any and everything else, I am their teacher, and will remain as such. I do hear, however, that many of these Chinese girls are - contrary to the demure, reserved Asian-woman stereotype - actually very outgoing and very forward. Further, many of them have more than a little "thing" for foreign men... sigh...

I'm now back at home after what I felt was a resounding success of a day. I was nervous going into it, but as soon as the bell rung and I began talking, I actually felt very natural. Though it's only the first day, and in 2 weeks I'll have 4 more classes added to the current load, I daresay I might be in my element.

1 comment:

  1. Son....
    Today was my second class day of my 31st year teaching at a university. My 8 am class is freshmen & sophomores- mostly native Montanans and not overly eager to start their college careers that this hour. It would be very difficult to empathize with them if it were not by having 4 children of my own..... and coaching high schools in Belgrade. Truly teaching not only keeps one mentally alert, but connects us with the present and the future through our students.
    My 10:00 am class is upper division students in Research Methods.... a class whose very content IS NOT inspiring to most college students. However, I am attempting to keep them thinking how applied research impacts their lives and future professions by requiring a POSITION paper on a controversial topic of their choice from a list I provide. It has generated interest already in many who have come to me for approval of their choices... wolf reintroduction in Montana, sex education versus abstinence in schools, an outdoor recreational 'boot camps' instead of juvenile penal institutes.... for example.
    Teaching, like coaching, is addicting. If you can withstand the 'down' times & make a living... the positives far outweigh the negatives.

    Love

    Dad

    ReplyDelete