Saturday, October 18, 2008

Hallalujah

From bad to good, things have a way of coming back around again. It began with an impromptu phone call from Warren's wife, Xiaohong (means "Little Red"), calling on behalf of Mr. Ma - the school's financial go-to-guy who is very nice, but doesn't speak a word of English. He'd been relayed my request, but before he went through the process of find a guy to fix an apparently broken heating pipe, he wanted to know if maybe, just maybe I had flipped the switch to turn on the water heater.

Yes, that's right... a month and a half of cold showers... all because I was never told that you could turn off the heat by using a seemingly-useless lightswitch next to the mirror. Sigh.

I wish they'd given me an instruction manual on all the weird little eccentricities of this apartment. But the point is I finally have hot water! Woohoo! And moreover, I was paid (finally) and so was able to go to the nearby-ish Trust Mart (owned by, of course, Wal Mart and connected to a McDonald's) and buy a new "hose" thing to connect my showerhead. The result: a fully funtional, fully temprature-control-able water with no holes in the hose to spray said pleasant water every which-a-way...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

In addition, today was a phenomenonally pleasant day. It rained - or rather, misted - all day yesterday, and so the usual heavy blanket of smoke, ash, and other miscelaneous pollutants was MIA. Not a cloud in the sky, and the sun shining brightly. It was so pleasant that I decided to go for a walk. And don't worry... I brought my camera. I'll post the pictures up soon :) But for now...

(CS)WC Out.

I'll give you something to cry about.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the shower! Is it draining any better? Or perhaps this is something Mr. Ma could find a repairman for;) Maybe you'll leave tags on what switches do what for the next person who uses the apt.
    Hope the rest of you weekend continues to go well!!
    xo
    Mom
    And I expect pics the next time I check you blog!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you hear you are back to being "Happy Chris" and your shower (with its switch-operated heating ability) is feeling oh-so-good! Again, let's look on the bright side... without all of these comedy of errors, your blog just wouldn't be as entertaining!

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete